Blog Post 2

   Throughout my K-12 years, my schools did not require us to use MS Word. We were allowed to choose whatever software we wanted. I started off using MS Word in elementary school, but by about 7th grade I started to use Google Docs. I used Google Docs first because it was easier on a Mac computer. I also used it because it was easier to work on group projects because everyone in your group could be on the same document at once. In my opinion, it is also easier to save the documents on your computer. 

  I believe that ISTE Standards for Educators are very important. One standard that I think is most important, is the standard of being a leader. A teacher must be a good leader or someone who inspires others to do their best, and aide them when they are struggling. I also think that being a learner is a very important standard. Teachers need to learn or make changes based on experiences so that they can improve their classroom as much as possible. Teachers can learn from their past years or courses. They can even learn from another teacher's experience in a classroom.

  When it comes to the term digital native, I believe that it is true. I think that most of today's youth are digital natives or someone who completely understands the internet or technology and how to use it. To be a digital native means growing up using technology, understanding how to work the newest iPhone to tablet, and easily navigate through the internet. I definitely see differences in how my teachers and I use technology. Some of my teachers have had trouble when it comes to playing videos in class, getting their projector to work, or uploading notes to websites like Edmodo. When my teachers struggled to share videos in class, it cut into our lesson time, and sometimes we were not able to finish our lecture. Also, if my teachers had trouble uploaded the math notes for the class that I missed then it made it hard for me to understand what we did in class and it caused me to get behind. In the future when I am a teacher, I know that there are going to be differences in our technology capabilities, but I hope that this class will help lessen the gap between me and my students. 

Comments

  1. I am on the same boat as you when it comes to using Google Docs! It just seems worlds easier than MS Word to me and being able to access it whenever, wherever, with multiple people on one doc is just so nice. I agree that a teacher needs to be a leader and I really enjoy your comment about how they can learn from not only their own experiences, but also other teachers. It takes a humble leader to realize change needs to occur and then taking the steps to make sure it does. I also have had similar experiences with some of my teachers and their lack of knowledge about the technology they are using. It sucks when that is the reason you get behind, but I do appreciate them trying. Do you think that our future students are going to think this stuff about us when we are older teachers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the students are going to think the same things about us in the future, but I don't think it is going to be as severe because we are "social natives" whereas our past teachers are "social immigrants" so I think we will be a little better but not a whole lot better haha!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 9